Hey y’all! Another snack time favourite for you today! These home made muesli bars are super easy and allow you to use whatever you have in your cupboard! I read a recipe in a magazine but ended up completely changing it because I didn’t quite have the right things. But I think this mix up works great – give it a go!
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup sweetener (honey, rice malt syrup, maple syrup etc)
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 2 cups muesli mix (seeds, oats, grains etc)
- coconut oil
- In a medium sized saucepan over low heat, combine the peanut butter, sweetener of your choice, mixed spice, cinnamon and ginger. Mix together until smooth and liquid.
- Take off the heat and stir through the muesli mix.
- Place mix in a baking dish lined with baking paper. Press down firmly with hands to compact together.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the top with coconut oil to help hold it all together.
- Refrigerate for a few hours until solid before slicing. Store in the fridge.
I’ve listed the ingredients to best describe what I used. Instead of peanut butter, I had half a cup left of a natural peanut butter/cacao mix that I used up – this gave it a chocolately taste, so you could try adding a teaspoon of cacao if you’d like. For my sweetener, I had half a cup left of a coconut nectar spread that I wanted to use up – I used this plus an extra dash of honey for extra stickyness. Fresh ginger in my house is hard to come by – we’re lazy – so I used a scoop of minced ginger we keep in a jar in the fridge. And for the muesli mix: I received a bag of Sunsol 10+ muesli with oats, sunflower seeds, pepitas, goji berries, blueberries, amaranth and chia seed in a sample box I get each month, so used two cups of this. Can you see that you really can use anything in your pantry and fridge!!
I’d love to hear what combinations you come up with!